- Tours & Photos
- The Good Stuff
- How to ...
- Medical - Dogs
- Veterinary Library
- Contact Us
Animal Medical Hospital
How to clean ears
This may be best done outdoors, so you can make a mess without worrying. The next best place is the bathroom, where walls and floors are washable or wipe-able.
6. Wait 30-60 minutes for the ear canals to dry out before applying medication.
7. Use the cleanser once a day for 7 days for inflamed ears. To help prevent future infections, clean the ear once or twice weekly.
Medicating the ear
1. Gently pull the ear straight up and hold with one hand.
2. Apply the prescribed amount of the prescribed medication into the vertical part of the canal while continuing to keep the ear flap elevated. Hold this position long enough for the medication to run down into the horizontal canal.
3. Massage the ear canal between thumb and fingers as you did for the cleanser.
4. Release the ear; it is OK if your dog shakes his head.
5. Do not wipe the medication out of the ear.
6. Use the medication as directed by your veterinarian.